PCB cleaning processes can go astray with even the closest of process monitoring. When this happens “Wash Tank Conditioning” or improving the wash tank solution is, in many cases required. Wash tank unbalance can be due to extremes in soil loading, quality of water and the level of chemistry solution concentration. Optimizing the wash process as a result of these extreme conditions possibly requires sump side additions of specialty process enhancement products to the wash or rinse tanks.
3 Common Scenarios for Wash Tank Conditioning
- Foaming: A common scenario is a high foam condition caused by flux loading or water-soluble masks going into the solution. A simple calculated sump side add of KYZEN Defoamer can quickly reduce or eliminate the foam and allow for continued production.
- Compatibility: Several factors such as pH, un-balanced chemistry concentration, or heavy soil load can lead to dulling or etching of solder joints and potentially harm other non-ferrous metals present on the PCB. Adding KYZEN Booster 20 to the wash tank in small doses will protect the parts and improve cleaning.
- Descaling: After weeks and months of PCB cleaning the flux and other soils removed from the circuit boards can:
- accumulate in the wash tank
- buildup on the tank walls
- spray nozzles, and heaters.
Scheduled preventative maintenance (PM) clean out of the system is accomplished by using a descaling agent.
KYZEN’S Process Enhancement Product line has solutions to remedy these unforgiving and potentially harmful conditions.